Thursday, August 7, 2008

Bright Future Ahead

As many of you may know, Cam took a leave of absence from his job last November to focus on joining the Army.

We are pleased to announce that after 9 months of hard work, he has accomplished that goal! Last week he went before the Army Officers' Candidate School (OCS) Board and was selected to attend OCS. On Monday, he traveled to Spokane to be officially sworn in and sign his contract for a 3-year active-duty commitment.

The future looks bright for us! Cam will fly out September 23rd for boot camp at Ft. Jackson in South Carolina. He then must report to Ft. Benning in Georgia on December 2nd for OCS. He hopes to be commissioned as an Army 2nd Lieutenant in Spring 2009. Following OCS, Cam must attend Officer Basic (job training, we think) at an undetermined location for up to 5 months.

During all of this, Kristy will be staying in Bremerton and working as an Engineer at Puget Sound Naval Shipyard. Spouses are not allowed to accompany their soldiers until after OCS. Therefore, Kristy's looking at 5+ lonely months.

In September, we will be sure to email our friends and family a mailing address for Cam as he will be allowed to get letters and cards during his training. (Email access will be limited.) He will try to write back as much as time permits.

3 comments:

Mary Edwards Frei said...

Hi Kristy & Cam - It was great to hear all about what is going on with the two of you. Congratulations and good luck to Cam with his new Army career! I'm sure it will be tough on both of you being apart all that time but it will be worth it, I'm sure.

Hugs,
Mary Edwards

Sabrina said...

Nice blog! I've added you to my favorites and will check back often! I'm glad I'll have somewhere to go to keep updated as I'm so much better at checking the computer than picking up the phone!

Good luck Cam!

Nicole said...

Dear Kristy & Cam,
Thanks for sending me the link to your website! It is fun to be kept updated this way even though there is an ocean between us :-).
Good luck to the both of you, with saying goodbye next week and especially for the period after that. I am sure it will be hard from time to time but you can also be proud. Cam for doing what he believes in and Kristy for having such a brave husband, and letting him go :-).
Thinking of you guys!
A big hug,
Nicole