Monday, August 17, 2009

The Gratitude Campaign

I recently came across the video advertising The Gratitude Campaign and wanted to share it with all of you!

According to Scott Truitt, the founder, on his website: gratitudecampaign.org "For the past several years as I've been traveling around the country, I've been approaching Soldiers in airports and thanking them for serving for us. On several occasions I have noticed that it felt a little awkward for both of us. ... But they have always appreciated being thanked, and I have always felt better having expressed my gratitude. I started to think that it would be nice if civilians had a gesture or sign that they could use to say "thank you" quickly and easily without even having to approach. I did some research and found the sign that we are now using."

The non-verbal sign is intended to say, "Thank you from the bottom of my heart!" To make the sign, simply place your hand on your heart as though you're saying the Pledge of Allegiance; then pull your hand down and out, bending at the elbow (not the wrist), stopping for a moment at about the belly button with your hand flat, palm up, angled toward the person you're thanking.

I have attached the promotional video below (as seen in national sports arenas and local television stations around the country). If you agree with the sentiment intended, please begin using this way of communicating to any of our brave military men & women you pass!

No comments: