Monday, May 3, 2010

Home Improvements, Stage 3

As promised, here's an update on what has been keeping us (well ... mostly Cam) busy for the last few weeks.

The downstairs is now completely painted! First, we used up the dark brown paint from the kitchen and family room in our half bath and found that it matches some framed IKEA art we've had perfectly!
Half-Bath Paint and Art

Second, we selected a light gray to paint the hallways and stairway. As Cam was up on our 22-foot ladder, painting away, he kept commenting on how I better like the color because he wasn't going to repaint it. The next morning we discovered that the color we selected had a purple-ish tint to it. While I was ok with it, Uber-Coug Cam could just not stand it. He selected a darker shade of gray and repainted the entire area again.
2nd Attempt at Gray

New Stairway Paint

New Downstairs Hallway Paint

After painting was complete, we dropped a chunk of change at Lowes (Thank goodness for the military discount) on new light fixtures for the WHOLE house. When we moved in, everything was super cool 80s-style and brass-colored ... down to the toilet paper roll holders! We've been replacing the bathroom accessories as we paint bathrooms, but now all the lights are now switched out with brushed nickel ones.
New Upstairs Hallway Paint and Sconces

Funky Kitchen Lights

New Dining Room Chandelier

The Easy Ceiling Fan in Family Room

The Not-So-Easy Ceiling Fan and Entry Light in Living Room
(Photo taken from half-way up the stairs)

All we have left to paint are the master bed and bath and the office/craft room/guest room ... since the green guest room is now becoming the nursery!

2 comments:

mikeandmelissafisher said...

I love it! Isn't it so fun? (Okay, maybe not for Cam who's doing all the painting!) We put in lights/fans in all the bedrooms (can you believe they didn't have any?) and now we're landscaping.

Have fun decorating your baby room. I'm so excited for you! Hey, when will you be home again? We're going in end of July.

Sabrina said...

I love the colors you guys picked! Hopefully I'll be able to visit soon! Though at this point, I may as well wait until you've got your little one around for me to spoil.